Sunday, August 09, 2020

Worth a Look

 Here are a few posts from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time...

What Will We Do When Our World Returns?

SoundGirls.org: My last day of work was March 13, 2020, and I’m still just as confused and anxious about it as the day our industry shut down. Since I was 15 years old, I have never gone this long without working, and I really just don’t know how to feel about it. I work in the arts because it feeds my soul, but can I afford that luxury anymore? Is it fair to ask me to get another job? Getting another job for me would mean getting another career, which would mean starting from zero, but I can’t afford to go back to school or pay for new training while I’m unemployed.

 

Theatergoers Are More Likely to See ‘Hamilton’ Live After Streaming It

TodayTix Insider: We all want to be in the room where it happens — whether virtually or in person. So when Disney+ released a filmed version of Hamilton featuring the original cast, the world watched, while the Broadway industry wondered: Does this mean people will stop buying theater tickets?

 

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, Concerts Planned Despite COVID Concerns

www.ticketnews.com: While live events throughout America are shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is set to go off at full throttle this week, including a full slate of live entertainment. While the original bill – featuring ZZ Top, REO Speedwagon, Willie Nelson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Shinedown and more – almost universally dropped their participation in the event, organizers were able to find acts to replace them and have the show go on.

 

Should Colleges Force Students To Turn Their Cameras On?

Reason.com: Zoom University will soon be in session. I suspect many faculties are wrangling with an issue: should students be forced to turn their cameras on during class?

I can see several arguments in favor of requiring students to turn on their cameras. First, if students know they are being watched, they are more likely to stay in one place and pay attention. If cameras are off, students may "listen" to the class while moving around.

 

Scene changers: the theatre-makers with radical ideas to combat racism

Theatre | The Guardian: Ola Ince is a young British director in demand. This summer, she was due to stage Romeo and Juliet at Shakespeare’s Globe, after directing a UK tour of the hit Royal Court show Poet in Da Corner. A leading light among a new generation of talented theatre-makers, Ince has directed productions around the world. Yet she has not always felt welcome in some British venues. She says she has experienced suspicion, condescension and prejudiced assumptions from audience members, even while attending shows she has directed herself.

No comments: