Sunday, May 21, 2006

Commencement 2006

If I could change things about CMU, one of the things on the list would be the expected weather on the day of commencement. Somehow it never fails to be cold and rainy at the top of the day for the outdoor ceremony and then clear up just in time for the indoor ceremony. This was once again the experience this year.

I robed this year and gave out a diploma, first time for me. The robe was goofy and my hat wouldn't stay straight. I guess if I am going to stick in this job for the long haul I will want to invest in some of my own personal regalia. I had a moment during the ceremony where for a second I thought nobody liked me, but then Kevin had the same kind of moment and I know everyone loves him so I am chalking it up to somewhat less boisterous graduates in our discipline than in others.

My boss did a great job with pronunciations this year, and for the first time in memory we were on writing, verbally, and on the projections the "Production Technology & Management" option, a fact not lost on many year to year observers. Who says good things don't come to those who wait?

And so another year comes to a close. Truthfully this year it is not a moment too soon for me as I have been running on fumes for a while now. Overall I think it was a good year with a lot of good work done all around. As to the nature of the day, my dad said I got it pretty much right last year, so maybe I will just say that again...

Commencement 2005

No comments: