Thursday, July 13, 2006

I Watch Too Much TV

Project Runway is back, excellent. Rockstar is back too, but I don't so much care with Tommy Lee and without Ty Taylor.

But Project Runway, that rocks. I think I like it because in many ways it is like work. Here are all these defenseless, aspiring, creative people told to do unreasonable things in impossible time frames only to get the absolutely most ruthless feedback - if they get any real feedback at all. It may be fashion, but for all intents and purposes it is drama school.

Actually I think my appreciation is more nostalgia for when I was a Drama student than it is any kind of empathy for the situation I am in now. This is the story of the student type people, not the teachers. Although, I love Tim Gunn. He would make an excellent addition to the faculty of our department. I wonder if he's ever considered teaching costume design.

Tonight was the official premiere. Last night they did a making the cast episode and they showed their auditions around the country. I couldn't believe how much they reminded me of our interview process. They have a little bit of an advantage though. When someone walks through the door they just know is a "not for us" they can simply stop them and turn them around. When that happens to us we give the candidate the whole interview anyway. I think maybe we get surprised once in every thousand interviews. With that kind of predictive accuracy maybe we should just say "I'm going to stop you right now and say you're not what we're looking for" as Tim so politely said to one of their candidates on the show last night.

The cast for their show looks good this year. I hope the show stays fresh, the way Bravo plays things I am sure I'll see every episode a thousand times. It would be nice if it didn't suck.

I started thinking today that maybe we should do our precollege like project runway. Do a challenge like every four days and then have Heidi tell someone the are "out." Whoever is left at the end would get an admission to the school and the "winner" would get a full ride four year scholarship. At least that would keep people from falling asleep during class.

Actually, it probably wouldn't.

They could at least pick a seat near the back when its going to happen - you know who you are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tim gunn somehow has always reminded me of dick block for some reason. - lindsay

Katy said...

i think of Tim Gunn more as a Dick and Michael combo. More Michael really. It seems to depend on the day.

I really need to get cable again.

Anonymous said...

boevers...leeandra never fell alseep in class...she was just resting her eyes!