Monday, September 01, 2008

You Can Take the Boy Out of Theatre School, But You Can't Take the Theatre School Out of the Boy

My "book" is due Tuesday.

If I were one of my more typical underclassmen students and my book was an assignment for one of my classes then it's more than likely I wouldn't have started it yet. I guess I am more like one of my upperclassmen, I know about lists and time management, and about polishing and consequences, so instead of having not started it yet I have. Today I got to maybe 30% complete.

Maybe.

Last time I did this I submitted three binders. Roughly they were: Classes, Service, and Research - except that a lot of my service is more like publishing, and in theatre our research almost never looks like research. I think it's likely that there will be three binders again this time. Over the last month I got a real jump - I bought binders. Well more accurately: binders, dividers, bright white inkjet letter paper, bright white ledger paper, photo paper, and ink, ink, and more ink. All of that has been sitting on my desk while Pre-College wound up, I lallygagged for a week, and then the semester got started.

So a couple of days ago, with only a couple of days to go, I started generating output in earnest. The "Classes" binder is to what could be called "substantial completion." It could be turned in as is, but I would be unhappy with it. That does represent the biggest chunk of work because for better or worse the last three years have mostly been about teaching. Tomorrow I am going to try to pound through "service" and try to amass a staff to help turn out binder #3.

All on the very last day. I feel like I am pulling an all nighter for lighting class all over again. Oh well, at least it only happens a few times a decade now.

No comments: