Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Short Update

to keep three shorties from piling up.

I am back in PA having left my sister holding the bag in Chicago. Probably be turning around again in a couple of days to pick up the slack for her. There are a lot of great people around over there and even with them it is really, really hard to move forward. The goofiest part is that sometimes the moving forward part invariably also moves one closer to the end, so really you don't want to move forward even though you really have no choice but to do so. Of further complication is that from a project management standpoint the thing is always seeming to be in danger of spiraling out of control at a moments notice. In some ways Mom's health care is the least of the problems - Dad after Mom, that feels like it will be much more difficult as the permutations are so much more varied. Mom's at least on a track, its not a happy track, but it's also one with few branches - more just about what direction and how fast. Dad... I'm not going to know where to begin, and once again I'm going to be late to the party.

I'll close with this thought. I was telling my sister how before going out this time I was thinking about bringing the camcorder and getting mom on tape: "say something to your grandchildren..." But really it's too late, if we did it now it would be more like a monologue by me or my sister with my mom answering questions yes or no. If you ever have a thought of doing such a thing do it now. Make it an annual tradition or something so it stays contemporary, but don't wait or you'll miss the window. Things just change too quickly.

Hanging in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David, i am so sorry to hear that you are going through all of this w/ your Mom. I don't know if there is anything else you need or any kind of help i can give, but i am in Chicago full time and am happy to help you out. Even if you just need someone with a car to run any errands for you or someone to take you out for a beer after a long day. Let me know.

My thoughts are with your family.

Sylvia F.