Sunday, December 12, 2004

Delicate question

So I have this idea for a book. Its not a theatre book, more like a book to take advantage of the current social/political climate. Anyway, it led me to this question. Do you think that people would be offended by a picture of Jesus holding a gun?

Now I have to tell you that this was really only a sideline to the idea I had, but for kicks I did a clusty image search and it turns out that there are few of these images kicking around already - even if you do filter out the Charlton Heston photos. I guess its clear that both Jesus and guns have played a significant role in that man's life.

One of the pictures was apparently an album cover for the group "fuel." And one was not really a picture at all, but an action figure:


I have to tell you, I wasn't expecting: "includes Ninja-Messiah throwing nails, Death Killer-Cross pump action over-under shotgun." You have to go to the site to see that. Should you choose to do so, they are here:


and you will be happy to see they are equal opportunity offenders. On their FAQ page you can see this:

"- But... but it's blasphemous isn't it?
- Silly rabbit, tricks is for kids. "

Anyway, just goes to show you what happens when you turn idle hands free on the internet.

2 comments:

Peg said...

Are you asking your blog-reading constituents? or are you asking hypothetically whether Red Staters would find it offensive? I have to say the plastic Jesus is icky for several reasons, but a plastic Buddha in that format would too. Goes to show you that anyone will try to sell anything. But I think you're on to something there. It's all about context. Jesus is to guns as what is to what? The same people who want to protect the right to own a shoulder-mounted rocket launcher under the Second Amendment are also the ones saying that gays are going to hell because God said so. There are far less toxic connections to be made, though: What about military chaplains? What messages (and I think there are several) are the armed forces sending by having military chaplains in the ranks of commissioned officers? And are there rabbis serving in the armed forces? I honestly don't know, and I grew up in the Air Force. But what does that tell you too?

David said...

Battling Buddha:

http://www.jesuschristsuperstore.net/lfigurespages/lfbuddha.html"One who has achieved perfection" includes Fighting Staff of Meditation, Magnum66 automatic Nirvana pistol, & Invincible Holy Orange Cape of Enlightenment

Like I said, equal opportunity offenders.