Thursday, December 02, 2004

For Peg

A Frankenkitty update..

So, people who have followed this little site for a while know that some time back we discovered that my oldest cat, Trinity, had some kind of aggressive cancerous tumor on her hip - and that the vet basically wanted to cut off everything behind her shoulder. We had the surgery, and as of the last post Trinity was a real unhappy cat with a bald spot on her butt and a mesh t-shirt to cover up her kitty-morphine patch.

We went through a long depressed phase, which I think just ended a few days ago. The fur has grown back both on the surgery site and where the pharmaceutical patch was. She's regained her personality a little. She never really lost any mobility, so she's getting around ok. She's not really that old a cat, 6 years. Sometimes it seems like she behaves a lot older than that. Maybe living with me causes people to grow old more quickly. We'll have to keep an eye on Marisa.

So, for the time being all the news there is good. The trouble is that the prognosis after the surgery is that it is virtually a 90%+ chance that the condition will recur and then we will have the same decisions, medical, money, and quality of life to make all over again. So, the next recovery for us will be for me to stop thinking I feel a lump every time I pick her up. Just a day or two ago I started to feel something suspicious in the same region as the original tumor. Just have to hope whatever it is its normal.

We'll see.

1 comment:

Peg said...

Holy moly. You got her in, what, '99? '98? I can't remember how old she was when you adopted her. I just remember your paranoia about keeping your blinds closed so building management wouldn't see her. ("That cat in the window? It's a stuffed toy.")

It seems to me that having cancer ages everyone who experiences it -- whether human, feline or canine -- so I'm not surprised to hear that she's acting older than you'd expect. I'm just glad to hear that she's feeling more like herself these days. Enjoy her every single day, and thanks for humoring me. Keep us posted!