Monday, April 17, 2006

And On The Seventh Day Ellipses...

A whole week of disjointed, random musings. Not sure it is actually an achievement... I just subscribed to 11 free magazines, I bet I don't even get two... Henry Kissinger sounds a lot like Steven Hawking if you are dozing... I wish the weather would make up it's mind already... Neither Josh nor Danny got laid, Tony still hasn't called the building inspector, Nikki got stopped at her own husband's store for identity theft, and Huff's brother thinks the smoke detector is talking to him... Is it possible they are actually going to solve the Natalie Holloway case??? Tonight on CNN they got a unanimous result to a phone poll - first time ever... My sister and I have arrived at a new favorite communication tool: texting. I wonder why... If you are keeping track, I didn't get much work done on my list for the weekend. I do at least know what I am doing tomorrow... I heard the power company in Scotland is declaring war on "standby" devices. Sounds like a good idea to me... I just saw Sarah Jane Smith and K9 will make an appearance on Doctor Who. Not sure how I feel about that... The radio today featured conversation on how spending on pets in the US doubled last year, and no we're not talking about food... Next weekend is spring carnival, maybe I'll even go to watch buggies this year... Even Marisa couldn't be convinced that hunter-gatherer is the way to go... I wonder if "I'm not him" will be enough of a campaign strategy to oust Rick Santorum...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

> I heard the power company
> in Scotland is declaring
> war on "standby" devices.

Sounds good on the surface but when you think about it, it won't solve anything. The problem (such as it is) will actually get worse. If they get rid of the standby option, consumers will just go back to leaving things on under full power. That is, after all, why standby was created in the first place.

Also, if a device like a TV isn't on standby, you can't turn it on with the remote, right? Somehow I don't think consumers are gonna give that one up without a fight.

David said...

Still think there's some middle ground here. You could do things so that devices were only on standby when they are likely to be turned on.

My scanner certainly doesn't need to be on standby considering how often it gets used (actually, it can be turned OFF, and I turn it off).

Some of the things aren't even off when they are off. I am sure the cable box is updating even when it is "off." Add 'em up, that's a lot of cable boxes quietly wasting power.

Still, it likely is an order of magnitude thing. If everyone with a/c waited one week later to turn it on then they want to and turned it off for the year one week earlier - that's probably an order of magnitude more than the standby power.

Although all of those desktops in offices do seem like they would add up too.

Peg said...

DB you're on to something, really.

The power that machines draw just by being plugged in, even if they're switched off, is called phantom power and it does show up on your LX bill. Anything companies and people alike can do to reduce energy consumption is a good thing.

In larger terms, last summer Japan ordered that office thermostats be kept at 82F rather than 77F, and it's estimated they saved 81 million gallons of oil just by doing that. (They did it to meet the Kyoto Protocols.)