Thursday, April 13, 2006

A Steel Driving Man

We interrupt these ellipses for an John Henry Project update...

As you may or may not remember, my department recently came up with a CNC router for our shop. Of course, now that we have it I had to come up with some kind of assignment giving the students a chance to use it.

So, I did:
It came with a nice drawing and everything:

We even got the scene painting class to help out by using our project as their faux finish marbling project. There were some SNAFUs along the way. I expected to come out with one piece that fit together well and one that was, less so. Because of some mistakes we actually came out with two that fit togather just OK. But still, I think it was a cool project, and a cool outcome:

2 comments:

Katy said...

i probably need to look at that drawing closer, but were those actually useful dimensions? It didn't look like they matched up with real points.

I wholeheartedly approve of the less-serious topic, and that is a crazy-marble deck.

David said...

All in all I think this went very well. A few tweaks for next time, but on the whole I think everyone had a good experience.