Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Day off?

Its occurred to me that I may be incapable of taking a day off. Today was supposed to be a day off. I still worked a couple of hours. At one point I turned what was supposed to be a leisurely walk with my fiance into a currcular brainstorming session. That can't be good.

I've got a weekend vacation coming up. How will I get any vacation if I am still working in my head? What is the magic combination to turn the work thing off?

The year may be over, but I still have quite a list. Would that I had the gift to just set the list aside until the end of August. In the end that would likely work out worse for me. Letting these things go means that when things get going again I am that much further behind.

But consider this: In a scenario where the list really never gets any shorter, does it matter if I fall behind? I'm always behind. There's always stress from being behind. Wouldn't it just make more sense to just chuck everything and get a proper recharge and then start once again at the insurmountable list clear headed and energized?

Already for this summer - on top of the wedding and all it's ramifications - I've taken a job to pay the rent, and expanded it to a supervisory position so that I could help other people pay their rent, I've taken on at least some marketing projects, a search committee, and mentoring of a production. That stuff will all worm in front of whatever course development I am supposed to be doing, as well as any option administration I might have got to - and of course all of that is well in front of any professional development I might have found time to do.

I swear some days I just think I should chuck it and go to the beach. I have a full time gig, why does it keep me busier than stock?

Well, one more day with work this week and then I am going to try to take a long long weekend to relax.

What are the odds?

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

David - Some people are gentically unable to relax. My husband is one of them. I am fully capable of lolling around on the porch with a drink in one hand and a book in the other; he's only happy if he's racing the lawn mower around and whacking weeds. He destroys my relaxation, damn him! So relax -- so Marisa can. It's your bounden duty as the man who loves her. See, one more thing to do...sigh...

Seriously, have a drink and try to go somewhere where you are forced to relax and do fun things. If you stay at home you will only wind up doing the gajillion things that need to be done that NEVER go away, even immediately after you've done them.

Peg said...

I know where you are; you sound like me. And we all know there will always be more work. You said so yourself. Use your big voice and say NO. Practice with your long weekend. Don't do anything that doesn't further your own personal well-being. I hope you have a wonderful time. (OK, a confession: sometimes, in order to allow myself to do this, I'm allowed fifteen minutes a day to check in with voice mail, email, what have you. Respond only to the things that are on fire. Then I can forget about it. Start there if you need to.)