Wednesday, May 11, 2005

How do you staff 15 shows...

...with 7 people?

PTMStudent: might I ask if there has been any decisions made regarding the shop setup for next semester?
DBoevers: all hail crazy scheme
PTMStudent: hallelujah
DBoevers: not sure I know another way to staff 15 shows with 7 people
PTMStudent: only 7?
DBoevers: its a crazy scheme, thats for sure
PTMStudent: hehe
DBoevers: no TDs
DBoevers: no ATDs
DBoevers: no Master Carps
DBoevers: just a crazy, crazy scheme
PTMStudent: might I ask for more details?
PTMStudent: and I can swear it will stay between us, if need be
DBoevers: I'm not sure a balanced mind will be able to comprehend the details of the crazy scheme
PTMStudent: lol
PTMStudent: well, you guys should know by now, I am far from balanced
DBoevers: the gist of the crazy scheme is this:
DBoevers: there are 15 shows
DBoevers: and 7 people
DBoevers: thats it
DBoevers: sort of a semi autonomous collective
PTMStudent: ack, borg-esque?
DBoevers: and I think everyone will go to every production meeting
DBoevers: just to make them more cozy
PTMStudent: lol
DBoevers: and then they can ask a question and we can all answer in unison
PTMStudent: lol
DBoevers: redesigning is futile
DBoevers: budgetting is futile
DBoevers: you will be assimilated
DBoevers: maybe it is kinda borg-like
DBoevers: to that end I have already started assimilating drones
PTMStudent: well, in this situation, might it be an option to asign shows with similar scopes to certain people
PTMStudent: i.e.: Have one group that is solely responsible for handling senior thesis
DBoevers: whats with you and all the assigning
DBoevers: its a crazy scheme
PTMStudent: that way they can try and incorporate them all together, and share things that might be commonly used
DBoevers: there's no assigning
PTMStudent: because with all 7 on it together, you might run into too many cooks in the kitchen
DBoevers: well thats what the other 12 people are for
DBoevers: or maybe that will just make it more confusing
PTMStudent: 12 more people? where'd they come from?
DBoevers: I assimilated them
PTMStudent: oh, well...are they paying tuition?
DBoevers: they are
DBoevers: its all pretty devious
DBoevers: or perhaps just plain crazy
DBoevers: hence
DBoevers: crazy scheme
PTMStudent: so how come these 12 are not included in the 7 td counts?
DBoevers: because there are no TDs
DBoevers: titles, assignments - what kind of lunatic are you?
PTMStudent: oh, 12 new first year grads? is that what you're refering to?
PTMStudent: lol
DBoevers: um no
PTMStudent: I guess I just missed something along the way
DBoevers: I believe there are no grad1s in the crazy scheme
PTMStudent: :-DBoevers: it should be posted in a day or two
DBoevers: Mr. Holcomb is trying to make sense of it
DBoevers: he too has a thing for titles & assignments
PTMStudent: lol
DBoevers: plus like spreadsheet cells
DBoevers: and rule one of the crazy scheme is that it is not bounded by spreadsheet cells


All hail the Crazy Sceme:

Let me know if you figure it out. I certainly haven't.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I spot the following symptoms in my students, there will be hell to pay, David Boevers:
1) power tools or spreadsheets growing out of my student's heads: leathermen or flashlights sprouting from their waists
2) They start saying things like, "I love paperwork" or "excell is my mother"
3) They start taking things apart to see how they work instead of conceiving things that defy gravity and spin on 74 axes as I spent so much time training them to do.

Katy said...

Anne,
Do you realize that those symptoms already exist within the lighting designers, and as the head of Design, they are your students as well?
Good luck with that crazy scheme, both of you Davids. I hope that you have a binder full of pre-arranged internship opportunities for all your burned out but genius PTM students for the 2006-2007 school year. And a plan for filling the grid in 06-07 when this year's crazy scheme grid fillers run away screaming.

Anonymous said...

"This sounds like a job for the superhero... Overhire!!!" (dun-dun-da-dah!)

Katy said...

Liz or Deano,
I'm glad that someone hasn't forgotten that silly project. If I still have the rendering, maybe I'll send it to David.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah one more thing. David, I told you how the three of us work here right? The rolling triangle theory. For those of you not in the loop, we have three associate TDs at the Playhouse/UCSD. While one is playing TD the other two are playing assistant/parlaying between their own shows. It's been working through the course of a year now and we're all happy. Everyone gets to be the chief on their own shows and we get the chance to cycle back onto the shop floor every once in awhile for special projects when we're not in charge of the big picture

-deano