Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Waiting

A couple of people have asked over the last day or two if things are slowing down any now that classes are over. Truth is that the last couple of days have been fairly slow, but by no means are the last two days a good predictor of what is to come. More than slowing down, or wrapping up, that last day or two has absolutely been the calm before the storm - you know, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Friday I was waiting for the crush of late and revised assignments to come in. And then Monday I was waiting for the balance of the authorized late submittals to come in. I was really quite surprised that nobody tried to turn in more work today. I guess slowly but surely people are getting the point. It always seemed unfair that people that kept up didn't get much of a bonus over people that simply recovered. The days of that posture are coming to an inevitable end though, and I believe that that's a good thing for all.

Today I am waiting again. Today's wait is for instructors to turn in grades for the semester. I amalgamate all the grades into a report for a meeting we have tomorrow. At least I am putting the waiting time to good use - reading PTM thesis projects while we wait for other faculty to return from the West Coast.

Tomorrow the waiting will end for this phase. There's a full day of culminating meetings and then Semester Reviews begin. Thank you sir may I have another.

No comments: