Thursday, May 05, 2005

Spring Crits, day one

First day, Grad2s and Frosh.

Shannon is the lone PTM student of the day:



She had a very stylish critboard with all classes represented and a little bit of carnival roller coaster thrown in for good measure. I totally forgot to take pithy notes to publish here.

The day's best shoes were Emily's:



although I think Anne would have given the award to Susan.

I've decided that keeping track of crits analogies might be a good activity. I remember one time I said that to be successful in theatre you really had to love what you are doing. I was saying this to someone that was really unhappy and they responded that almost nobody in their class liked what they were doing either which led me to explain:

You have to love this business like it was your little sister. Some days you just want to smack her, but you couldn't live without her.

Today's best analogy belonged to Anne who told one student that his work was like a big dog, dragging him from place to place. Congrats Anne.

8 comments:

Katy said...

I was a machine... but that wasn't an analogy. I invite everyone reading to submit any memories of crits analogies on the comments section, lets see what stuck in all those long afternoons.

BabelBabe said...

All I remember is Cletus telling me I had the emotions of a fence post (can we mention that little analogy of the pot calling the kettle black...?)

And are those really analogies, or metaphors, or what? I have to go look that up....

Katy said...

Analogy: A is to B as C is to D, and it has to make sense (in theory).

Simile: A is like a B -or- A is something as a B... comparison between two things using like or as.

Metaphor: A is B... direct comparison without regards to reality or laws of physics.

That's my version in a nutshell, feel free to let me know if i'm wrong.

BabelBabe said...

So the fencepost comment was a metaphor. Thanks, Katy.

And might I add that you have a fine career ahead of you as a reference librarian, or a copyeditor, depending on if you actually had to look that up or not!

Anonymous said...

We should all have our work on a leash, the way that Andrew does, now. I would choose to put my work on a retractable leash. With a padded handle. And a zippy whizzing sound when the leash snap shut.
-Anne

Katy said...

I definitely didn't have to look that up. Or ask my roommate. I had a very thorough education in Deerfield, and to forget those definitions I would have to have a lobotomy or something.

I think that being a research librarian would be cool. Right now though, I am Mr. Zommer's assistant, which leads me to be a researcher with great regularity. So its all good.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to this whole blog world, but man, no one loves an Anne-ism as much as I do. I don't remember if this was said at crits or when it was, but my fondest Anne analogy is that time when she said: "It's like...pointing a bus at your head...and making it go."

BabelBabe said...

Hey Katy, My next door neighbors and my husband and I (all of whom are entirely too overeducated - three master's degrees and two PhDs among us) had a very lively conversation about the simile/metaphor/analogy thing last night over a lovely bottle of wine. I was SO glad you'd explained clearly so I could explain (pontificate : ))clearly in turn, but of course that helped not a whit when my husband started questioning exactly *why* it was even important that people know the difference. Sigh. As a reference librarian myself, I am used to people not caring about that sort of thing, but my own husband....just not fair!

As far as Anne-isms go, the only one I clearly remember after all those summers at CLO with her is, "Use a bigger brush!"