Monday, August 18, 2008

So What is Rich?

The other night, during a debate/town hall that almost nobody watched (I think maybe swimming was on), both the presumptive nominees were asked how much someone has to make to be "rich." Obama said a family income of over $150,000 per year is rich (although I have seen it reported as $250,000 too). McCain sort of flippantly said $5,000,000 per year - and that's now being spun as having been a joke.

Joke to who? Blog for another day.

We need some new language, or maybe some new math. Certainly someone making $5,000,000 each year is rich - from my perspective really fucking rich. Does that mean that the McCain philosophy says that someone making $4,250,000 per year is "just getting by?" People say McCain is out of touch. They may be right.

I have to say that I struggle with this concept of wealth measurement. I mean, when there are people pulling down say $30,000 per year that have kids and a mortgage - well then I guess Obama's $150,000 per year figure makes sense. Certainly there are many many people getting by with less than that. But what is the criteria for "rich?"

I would think that someone who is rich never has to be concerned about food, housing, retirement, transportation, communication, education, insurance, & health care. Since "rich" I think should imply being beyond that threshold I guess there ought to be some amount beyond that that counts as discretionary spending money.

I'm not sure how child care should fit into that list.

Here's the rub. I think I can see a family with a couple of kids that earns $150,000 per year and really can't legitimately cover all those bases. Also, I think when you look at that list some people might respond that if there's no money to use for making money - no investment beyond retirement savings that those items constitute what it means to be middle class, not rich. Maybe the difference between middle class and rich isn't a dollar amount so much as a quality issue: where you live, what you eat, how you retire...

But even without a great neighborhood and many meals out I think I can see that $150,000 going away quickly, especially when you start looking at higher education.

Or is higher education just for people who are rich?

So maybe we shouldn't use a number. Maybe we ought to look at the various needs and say that if people cannot meet those needs that they aren't rich - regardless of how much money they make. I mean right off the top the dollars for a family of six should be different than a family of three, yes? Or just a couple? Shouldn't it be easier to get rich without kids than with? Or, under this analysis is having children a luxury - a discretionary expense people decide to undertake foolishly without first taking care of the basics?

Certainly that can't be what we mean. Although after a point there does seem to be some logic there (says the guy with 5 cats - and 5 annual vet bills).

This whole issue came from a discussion of taxes I think. Both candidates go out of their way to say they're not going to tax "middle class families." Clearly that rhetoric is meaningless. If Obama means "people making over $150,000" when he says "tax the rich" I think he needs to look at his math again - maybe even if its the $250,000 figure. If McCain intends to protect people making over $1,000,000 per year while "protecting working families" he needs to check his math.

When there are people out there like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who have actually said they think they should be paying more taxes I don't understand why there's so much concentration on people that are just getting by, regardless of what level they are scratching to get at.

But none of that helps me understand how much it really takes to be "rich."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... well, I have to admit that I didn't care at all to watch this Saddleback event. I think I was watching swimming or something, anything olympics really.

And I've read some of the blog buzz today about the event, and the "rich" questions.

I didn't spend much time thinking about the answers the candidates gave until now.
So, thanks for that, I guess.

However, I think I have to disagree with the premise, or maybe just the "direction", of your post.

Near the end, you seem to be suggesting that $150,000 is maybe not rich enough for everyone... and that the idea of a tax increase on those making over $250,000 might be hitting some non-rich families where it hurts. (Note that I am using the $250,000 figure because that is what the Obama economic plan actually calls for.)

This may be true, that some families would have trouble scraping by on $250,000... but it profoundly ignores the realities that the median family in the country faces, which is the same rising costs and a household income of $40,000. These are the people that are truly hurt by today's economy and the current unequal income distribution. These families would love to be able to not worry about food and housing, particularly given current foreclosure rates, let alone: "food, housing, retirement, transportation, communication, education, insurance, & health care". Any type of insurance and healthcare goes out the window first, education is a far-away dream, and communication means a prepaid cell-phone from Walmart, if anything.

For a little perspective on the "rich" question... take a look at this chart from Ezra Klein:
http://blog.prospect.org/blog/ezraklein/incomedistribution.html
Original article here: http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=08&year=2008&base_name=your_world_in_charts_the_rich
The important takeaway is that around 95% of the country is worse off than Obama's "rich" definition. Furthermore, only around the top 2% qualify for his proposed taxes.

So, I think the question to ask is not one of, can you meet all of your wants and needs on $X... but instead, how do you fair against the $300 million other Americans who are trying to make ends meet in the same economy? I, for one, used to be in Obama's "rich" category... and feel very lucky to have had that lifestyle.

Finally... it is pretty clear that I hold the McCain economic plan, as well his personal elitist attitude toward the poor to be reprehensible. SO, I won't even attempt to hide my partisanship.
However, it is worth mentioning that Obama has some of the top economic minds in the country working for his campaign. Two of whom are University of Chicago professors (and having a true academic on a campaign as an advisor is a rarity.) One of these advisors, Austen Goolsbee, taught a class that I took last quarter... and he was VERY impressive. Believe me, these are the types of guys you want coming up with balanced solutions for our economic problems. I'm not talking about left-ist ideological crap... this is the University of Chicago after all, where Markets are King. Instead, he's getting advice from academics who have spent their careers on this stuff, and understand the macro-scale theory as well as the day-to-day hardships that people face when things are looking bad.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lurker, but feel that I must jump in here.

I have many friends with families in the $40,000 and under income bracket. Josh, your description of their lifestyle is spot-on.

Many of the points brought up are worth considering and discussing.

However, the original question is "So What is Rich?" To me, rich is not a numerical figure denoting household income, lifestyle, or tax bracket. Rich is a state of mind. I know many people in vastly different income levels, with vastly different situations as far as "food, housing, retirement, transportation, communication, education, insurance & health care", as well as children and their care. Many have little or no discretionary income. They work to get by. And yet many are happy, well adjusted and look forward to the day when they wake up. Sometimes I think what might be considered "poor" when measured by monetary income is actually exceedingly "rich" as far as intangibles. I have learned that rich is not measured in dollars but instead is measured in sense.

This comment in many ways subverts the original intent of the post I suppose, and it is not my intent to do so. I want to post another point of view.

Anonymous said...

> Here's the rub. I think I can see a family
> with a couple of kids that earns $150,000
> per year and really can't legitimately cover
> all those bases.

You also have to take into account geography. There's a big difference between Manhattan, New York and Manhattan, Kansas.

A hundred-fifty grand is barely scraping by in NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.