Wednesday, August 06, 2008

What Would You Do With Brett Favre?

Talk about a shit sandwich. I am so glad I don't run the Packers. If I did though, I think I would have stuck to my guns too. With camp coming up, if I got the phone call I guess I would have said "well, you're welcome to come back, but we've proceeded with our planning based on your retirement, so you will have to begin the season as our backup." I guess it would be hard to say, but really is he in shape? Have they been working all off season to build something around someone else?

I mean, you have to let him come back, yes?

It sounds like that stance - to come back as the reserve - is not acceptable to Favre. But with the way QB's go down in this league, what's to say that if you do come back on the bench that you're not starting by week three? And this way starting for Green Bay rather than someone else.

I was wondering if he could be in shape and then I remembered that after MJ retired he came back and scored 55 on the Knicks mid-season. Maybe Favre has been working out too.

It's a good thing he didn't take that $20 million dollar payoff to be a front office rep. That would have been a lousy resolution. Still, with the way things are going it doesn't sound like they have much left in the solution column.

It'd be really weird, but I think Favre in a Bears jersey would be interesting. Last few years have been pretty sketchy for the Bears at QB. I wonder what Chicago sports radio sounds like this week. I bet the thought of Favre going to the Vikings makes people in Chicago pissy.

On ESPN radio they played a promo wherein they suggested that they should just give up and cancel the whole season if Favre can't play. Sounds reasonable to me.

By the way, did you notice that the Olympic opening ceremonies are playing up against a full slate of NFL preseason games? I wonder who missed that little detail on the calendar. Maybe they were too distracted thinking about where Brett Favre is going to play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nah... the Bears need young talent at QB. The last thing they need is an aging guy who is great when he's great, but was starting to look pretty inconsistent last year (before he retired!).

Plus, Lovie has now decided to give Kyle Orton a try... after sticking with Rex through thick & thin.
Hopefully the new rookie RB will shine this year, and they can refocus on finding a real QB (or building one out of Orton??), maybe in next years draft.

Anyway... its still baseball season here in Wrigleyville... Go Cubs Go!