Sunday, July 20, 2014

Worth A Look

Here are a few posts from last week's Greenpage that might be worth your time...

Debt Sentence

American Theatre – July 2014: Freddy Arsenault is living the dream. He’s appeared on Broadway; his nonprofit credits include shows at the San Diego’s Old Globe, Virginia’s American Shakespeare Center and Manhattan Theatre Club. But he is also $165,000 in debt, a holdover from having to borrow to attend the graduate acting program at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts. Over iced tea in midtown Manhattan in April, Arsenault recalls receiving his first bill from Citibank, his private loan lender, shortly after graduation. “I owed about $1,200 that month. I panicked. I went into a cold sweat. I started thinking, ‘How am I going to maintain a career like this?’”


Leah Buechley: Crafting the Lilypad Arduino

MAKE: I’ll never forget the first time I heard about Lilypad Arduino. I was astounded and said, “You can make LEDs light up and you stitch it with conductive thread? How does that work?” It wasn’t until years later, after experimenting with the board that I finally got to meet Leah Buechley, the inventor. She was giving a talk at University of the Arts in Philadelphia about artisanal technologies. She amazed me with her discussion of mixing classic crafts with electronics, and better yet, it was said in a lyrical tone which reminded me of my favorite teacher from 8th grade. Who was this woman that made art and technology magically merge? I was determined to learn more.


The Problem with Booth Babes: How ‘Casual Sexism’ Hurts the AV Industry

www.avnetwork.com: Those of you who follow me on Twitter might have seen a hashtag I use frequently: #AVHallOfShame. It's one I use for the cringe-worthy AV moments: sloppy wiring; soundbars in places from which sound can't possibly carry to viewers; badly-sized or badly-placed displays; etc. This week I tagged Purelink's booth at Infocomm with the #AVHallOfShame hashtag. What was my issue this time? Take a look at the image to the right, from their marketing email.


Fear of audience participation

chicagotribune.com: The explosion of participatory theater — or at least my seeming inability lately to attend a show that does not include some degree of audience interaction — has set my skin in permanent rash mode.
I suspect that I am not alone out here, equating the theater with hives these days. The situation has become so anxiety-inducing that I have turned jittery and become ever vigilant — even as I write this in an office cubicle, I half-expect a cheerful actor waiting around the corner, eager to steer me by the elbow toward a stage.


An Open Letter to TV Showrunners: There Are Over 1200 Experienced, Accomplished Women Directors Waiting to Be Hired

Women and Hollywood: I have known many of you over the years as colleagues, bosses and friends. I know you to be a group of professionals with the highest work ethic and a mindful approach to your families and the issues you find socially relevant. So I can't help but wonder, where is your social consciousness about gender equity in Hollywood?


No comments: