Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Too Much Time on my Hands

Let's take a break from current events for a currant event.

In our new normal life I am making lunch for Gib5on and Sabian these days, not all the time, but often.  The boy has been experimenting with all kinds of new cuisine.  He's had his first Ramen noodles.  He's recently had his first Spaghetti-Os.  We're breaking out all the hits of the 1980s.  His go-to lunch solution is a turkey wrap.  He likes turkey, avocado, shredded cheese and barbecue sauce.  Under no circumstances are you to use mustard or mayonnaise.  Improper condiments are grounds for vetoing an entire plate.  When there's no avocado to be had he likes pickles, but pickles don't go well when there is avocado.

As a pandemic treat I've been working through a back stock of juice boxes that I had in my office at work.

Today I decided to change it up a little.  I'm not sure where I saw this online, but it seemed like it was fairly simple so I gave it a go:


Today's lunch was a PB&J Maki with grape dipping sauce, tomatoes, grapes and pretzel chips.  I even came up with a fortune cookie to round out the concept.

The roll is just bread with the crust cut off rolled out with a rolling pin.  You put peanut butter on that and roll it up and then drizzle grape jelly over the top.  I had to make a piping bag to do the drizzle.  Someplace else on TV I think I'd seen someone do that with a plastic sandwich bag so I tried that.

Gib5on hasn't been eating much of his lunch lately, but today he returned an empty plate.  I think maybe I hit the bullseye.  Photo evidence would support that:


I hope I haven't set me up for failure tomorrow.  Maybe I'll fix it so mom has to make lunch.

No comments: