Thursday, January 13, 2005

Knot Dating

I do this thing in rigging class where I have the students spend a class session teaching each other how to tie various knots. So that there is a structure to the session I decided to copy the idea of "speed dating" where you have two groups and everyone has a "date" for like 7 minutes and then switches.

I guess I've done it four times now. The first year it happened with no hoopla. From then on I made it into an event, with a theme. I do the assignment sheets as invitations, with envelopes. We decorate the room and get refreshments, and the students dress up for the theme. Last year was "Cabana Theme."

The first two years we did "black tie" knot dating.


I'm looking for a new theme. I asked a bunch of people for suggestions. Here's what I have so far:
  • i think we should do a polar or arctic theme - ski bunnies, shredded toilet paper on the ground for snow, hot cocoa with marshmallows...
  • Knot Dating at the circus: come dressed as your favorite circus character
  • retro knot dating - dress like it's 1983 (or some other ambiguous year)
  • dress like your favorite professor (or student)
  • Under the Sea - Always a classic!
  • Knot your Mamma's Dating, son
  • Hot of Knot?
  • Knot Tonight
  • Tie the Knot
  • You're Knot Yourself
  • Knot on your life
  • How to Date!.....Knot!
  • Winter Wonderland

Last time I thought about it I think maybe I was leaning toward "Outer Space" but I'm not sure what that would mean.

Anyone got any other ideas?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

y'all didn't wear tuxes for MY knot dating... and no, I wasn't in your first class like everyone seems to think! My thoughts (i'm not good at cutesy names, so they're just themes)... renaissance, harry potter, 80's prom, disney, debutante ball, noah's ark, western. - lindsay

Peg said...

I love those photos of you & Kevin.

Anonymous said...

yeah those are some great pictures...i have to say, being a part of the first annual knot dating, i wish we had a theme and decorations...for the future, i vote for Winter Wonderland...or GeekKnots! Dress up as your favorite Geek!...maybe Sports Knot Dating

Indri said...

I bet you're a great teacher. You think up really fun stuff for your students.

Has anyone mentioned pirates yet, and I just missed it?