Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Scanner quandary

Does anyone have a 120 VAC to 12VDC @ 1.2A power supply laying around?

Recently I discovered my scanner had died. Its a fairly serviceable HP ScanJet 3300C and while not inspiring me in any particular way has done what scanners are supposed to do for something like 5 years now. With what little technical knowledge I have in this area I have determined that actually the scanner is probably fine, its the power supply that's dead.

This shouldn't surprise me I guess. There's a lot of heat for a consumer component there, its been on constantly for longer than I can really remember, and HP has so much confidence in it that they won't even print their logo on the thing.

So, off to Radio Shack we go; as this is one of the few things that that particular store is still pretty good at. Not this time though. They have something close to what I want 12VDC @ 1.0A or 1.5A - no 1.2A, and the 1.5A is out of stock. So much for the easy solution.

But here's the real rub. Even if they did have exactly what I was looking for, it would likely cost North of $25. The whole scanner was only $80 when I bought the thing. Is it really worth the $25 to get this one going again? I think I may have fallen into a little bit of a planned obsolescence trap here. As a five year old piece of hardware the drivers are not supported by XP, its USB 1, and the resolution is sort of low. If I bought a new one I would get higher resolution, USB 2 or Firewire, and XP drivers.

Does anyone think there might be a person in an office at HP thinking I am supposed to come to this conclusion?

There must be an old adaptor somewhere in the house that will moot this train of thought.

No comments: