Friday, January 21, 2005

New Season

Tonight was the first real showing of Scifi Network's Scifi Friday Night. The season premieres of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, plus a new episode of Battlestar Galactica. Either I need a Tivo, or Friday nights will be spent in for a while.

So I'm a geek. Does this surprise anyone?

I'd been waiting for months for the Galactica series. They teased the series when they ran the mini-series last fall. So far its pretty good. I think the writing will even out eventually. It usually takes a new science fiction show a couple of seasons to get it's writers legs under it. Most of the updates and changes have been effective. It will likely take me some time to get used to the idea of Starbuck being a woman, and the humaniform Cylons change the focus of the show fairly fundamentally. The old show hadn't needed that wrinkle, I wonder if it will improve the new show or just bog it down. The thing I miss the most? I just wish they would still end each episode: "Fleeing Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a rag tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest for a shining Planet known as Earth."

I fed the first six words of that into the Google Talk thing and it came up with the rest of the quote - which I couldn't remember. Of course it went on to add "...vast civilizations have evolved, and ruling the galaxy is an enormous group of people. who have been treated for Lung cancer. and other health problems. in the community. and the University of Michigan Press. University of Minnesota, Press, Minneapolis, MN. pp. HARRIS, " so maybe the tool is limited. But to give credit, "Earth" is the last word of the line from the show. I talked about Google Talk a long time ago. If you haven't played with it you should, its neat.

Galactica premiered last week. This week they added the premieres of the two Stargate shows. I have my fingers crossed for SG-1. I hadn't liked where they went with it in order to get Atlantis launched. Hopefully now that the shows are split SG-1 will be able to regain its balance. The first episode was pretty good. They've established their villain, and they're as bad as the Borg ever were on Next Gen. I miss Hammond, but I guess you can't have everything. The Atlantis premiere was good too, if predictable. That show is still in it's pre-sea legs stage too, but it is showing signs. My fingers are crossed.

Anyway, three hours of TV. Time to actually get something done tonight.

No comments: