Sunday, January 02, 2005

Remodeling

Or maybe its just a little early spring cleaning. The left margin of the site has been reorganized. After living with it for a little while I think this order is better than before.

Also I recently tripped into one of the normal pitfalls for web developers. While I was at my folks I noticed what they see of the page versus what I see. They are using a fairly old Mac with the corresponding versions of Netscape and IE, plus they are using dial-up. I also got a message from a former student who was using Firefox. In the end, it is beginning to seem like the only person that sees the thing the way it is composed may be me.

For the record, I am using IE 6.0 for WindowsXP on a PC and my screen resolution is 1280x1024 (I really do like my new monitor). The window is formatted so that it displays correctly while still leaving a column for my AIM buddy list.

I hadn't thought I was using a lot of apps or images, but waiting for this page to load on my parents dial-up machine was painful. To any of you viewing that way, I salute your patience.

While I was at it, since no project is worth while unless you can get something new, I added a new counter under the hitmap. If you click on it you should be able to see some interesting demographic information - if I set it up right. Sometime down the line I will have to see if I can synchronize the dates for the map and the counter. A project for another day.

I'm also contemplating adding a blogger/google ad box at the bottom of the column. The host gets paid every time someone clicks on the ad, but that's not really my interest. The app scans the text and comes up with what it thinks are appropriate ads. I'm kind of curious to see what it comes up with. Maybe later.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Beware of the google ad boxes. While it might be fun to see what google decides goes with your text, it isn't as varied as the image search (which doesn't always seem to be working, btw) and gets boring after a while if you talk about similar topics. I discovered that with the sidebar of my gmail. They have about 3 advertisers that are associated with various words related to theatre, and most of the email I got last semester was related to classes or my show.