Sunday, April 24, 2005

Basketball

A few days ago I talked about how I was trying real hard to care about NBA basketball this season. It's really not working. The playoffs started tonight and if I hadn't been flipping I wouldn't have even noticed.

At the time I was asked why I would even consider caring about basketball with baseball spring training in full swing. I do have to say that I have been picking up the Cubs again with much more energy than I have been able to muster for any NBA team.

One interesting thing did hit me though. This season the Chicago Bulls made the playoffs and the Los Angeles Lakers didn't.

How on Earth did that happen?

Is it possibile that Laker's management made some poor choices in favor of the perceived Air's air apparent? That's really got to have them turning backflips, what with the Heat in the playoffs, and Phil Jackson getting wooed for yet another head coaching job, and their prized Lakers and Laker Girls gone fishin'.

I guess maybe Kobe is human after all. And maybe placing the fate of your team in the hands of such a young gun isn't the best idea in the end. But there are many more years before that story is really ready to be written.

The Bulls really caught me by surprise. I had thought in the deep pit of dismantling they'd found themselves that it would be another decade for them to be heard from again - if they ever recovered at all. It seems like they were bound to be the Chicago Clippers in many ways. So good for them. Way to bounce back and make a showing. Of course it will mean very little if they get bounced out in the first round.

And I will have to watch to see if that happens.

So maybe there is still hope for the season even at this late date. Unless of course the Cubs are on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hockey season was well underway before I noticed it hadn't started. I only noticed then due to a mention on NPR -- there was a story about a hockey player complaining that nobody cared about the strike.

I had noticed that the Columbus team was nothing in the way of advertising this year -- but I attributed that as much to my taste in TV shows as anything else. Maybe there were ads ... just not during Stargate or The Avengers.

Katy said...

Who are the Clippers? And the Cubs won yesterday afternoon! woohoo!