Monday, April 04, 2005

Link of the Day

Two for one here at link of the day.

I got some new cards printed. I thought I could use some freelancer cards that had my home information on them instead of my work info. I think they came out pretty well:




The full color, and glossy card stock weren't any more expensive than without, and they had a nice selection of images and compositions. It took about a week. If you are interested you can find them here:


They also have stationary and other stuff, but I can only speak for the business cards.

I found my way to iPrint through a new button I found on another site. For about a year now I have maintained an address book using an online service called Plaxo. It's a free service and they maintain your contacts online so you can get to them from any computer. It looks like the service has full implementation of everything you have in Outlook, or with the Palm OS - but since I've never been an Outlook person and my Visor doesn't turn on anymore I can't really speak to that.

The Plaxo service makes it real simple to update your contacts, the whole process is automated. Also, if another one of your contacts has a Plaxo account the updating is instantaneous and totally passive - it just always keeps that information current.

Recently they added a service where when a person has entered their birthday with their contact information the service reminds you and sets up to send an e-card. Very nice.

When I first joined (or really the first time someone queried me with the service) there seemed to be some angst around storing information this way. The service goes out of their way to have a privacy policy that is fairly iron clad and transparent. So they appear to take it very seriously.

I can say that in a year I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe that my data is being used by anyone but me.

Anyway, its a service I've really liked, and I thought I would spread the word. If you are interested in Plaxo you can find them here:

2 comments:

Katy said...

do you have to pay for Plaxo?

Their tagline should be, "keeps your contacts up-to-date, your teeth cavityy-free and all without the harsh taste of compromised security."

markjen said...

Hi Katy -

You don't need to pay to join Plaxo. Most of our services are free and we've just rolled out two new premium services: an address book optimizer and mobile access. Getting your contacts updated and data synced is free. :)

- Mark