Friday, April 22, 2005

Its late...

...and I forgot to post, or maybe forgot is wrong, just never got to it.

I spent my evening trying to cram as much content into a course schedule as possible for our summer precollege program. Its tough because there are many goals:

  • get as much content as possible
  • employ as many people as possible
  • balance the content as well as possible
  • give instructors enough time to actually teach something
  • keep the load equitable amongst instructors
  • and build a show
I've really got the content crammer at work. I've made room for:
  • Basic Design
  • Drawing
  • Lighting Design
  • "Lab"
  • Drafting
  • Scene Painting
  • Stage Management
  • Technical Production
  • Sound Design
  • Drama Lit
  • Costumes
  • and Production Management
That's about two years of our regular program crammed into six weeks. I am now giving up and going to bed without an acceptable grid on my screen. I think I will live to fight another day - and besides, I should likely ask instructors about their availability before I try to nail anything down.

Tenured professor with no administrative duties this gig just 'aint.

3 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Boy pre-college must've changed in the fifteen years since I did it.

We built in the afternoon and then ran the shows at night, went out drinking with the crew afterwards, slept till noon skipping every single class we were meant to go to, and started all over again. It was the best summer of my life, and I even had time for a rollicking social life.

Poor preekies, they actually have to exert some effort now. Awww.

Katy said...

Pre-college also must have changed a lot in the 10 years between when I did it and you did it. We had class everyday at 9, a lunch break, a class in the afternoon. There was drama lit in there (blech, didn't like it then, don't like it now) somewhere. Then we had build/install crew for the New Works and in the evening it was either homework or crew and socializing when we had to be back in "pre-college land" near the dorms.

It doesn't really feel like exerting effort when you're there... I think that the point is to try out the pace of the program as well as the content. Though David has started to fill it up to the brim with content.

David said...

So. What should it be?

There's always this tension between having it be CMU Drama on the one had and summer camp on the other.

Where do you think it should come down?

Really its moot. All it turns out to be in the end regardless of what we do is an opportunity for high school kids to fuck like bunnies.

Maybe that should be the marketing campaign.