Sunday, July 17, 2005

Headphones

When did it become ok to wear headphones to school? Ok so I guess maybe at high school and middle school this hasn't become a problem as of yet, but here in the world of higher education it is a smallish plague.

I remember when I was a student at this august institution that there was a time when the shop guys had decided they wanted to wear headphones while they were working. The shop manager raised holy hell and put a stop to that.

We could use him now.

The success of the iPod has made this somewhat worse. I love my iPod. The idea that I can put every CD I own onto a device smaller than a pack of cigarettes is very appealing. But just having the music available doesn't mean you have to listen to it every second of every day.

Take when you are in class, or working in the shop. This isn't only distracting to others, and potentially unsafe for the wearer, but really its just rude. And taking the phones off your head and wearing them around your neck is not an improvement.

I can only think this is going to get worse as Bluetooth becomes more integrated.

I even have students who come to class on exam days and wear their headphones. "The music helps me think." Fine. The answer is still no. And by the way how in the world did you think that someone would be allowed to access a 40gig random access information storage device when the test is closed book.

I think you're probably cheating.

The other day I left people some on their own time in class for work. They had the boom box going. That's ok I guess. Along with that, three other people had the headphones on. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

But if I'm speaking, if you're taking a test, if you're supposed to be collaborating, or you are in an environment where safety is an issue do us all a favor and leave the headphones at home.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Headphones in junior highs and high schools have always been a problem. They are just forbidden by the institution and there are consequences for breaking rules. Higher education has the trouble of fewer set in stone rules, differences in rules between teachers/options/years/departments and no discipline system in place for relatively minor infractions such as being rude. People generally don't get detention hours in college.

Anonymous said...

You know, just let them use their headphones in class. Let some kid wear his headphones while you're lecturing, but just be sure to be wearing yours when he comes to your office later to bitch about how he's failing your class. "Sorry can't hear you buddy, my music is too loud."