Sunday, July 24, 2005

Question #3

3. What is the coolest technological advance/invention of the past hundred years?

Well, by the wording of this question there is really only one possible answer:


1902 - Willis Carrier invents the air conditioner.

Besides, I might have picked that one anyway. I am partial to my conditioned air. But there are also others I like as well.

The escalator, airplane, brassiere, zipper, PEZ, SCUBA, Oral Contraceptives, pong would all make some kind of list. Sure there are the obvious computers, internet, cell phones, but I think that all of those are really just refinements and improvements. Haven't seen too much real groundbreaking thinking lately.

All of these come from this page by the way: 20th Century Inventions.

I always thought my grandfather had really lived in one of the most explosive times in history. He saw the invention of the car, airplane, radio, television, rocketry, telephone, and space travel. Until we come up with beaming its going to be hard to compete with that.

So, air conditioning? The Pill? For this question I really do have only one choice:

1948 - The Frisbee® invented by Walter Frederick Morrison and Warren Franscioni.

No comments: