Monday, July 18, 2005

Soon to be TV Movie

From today's USAToday:


Without disputing the appropriateness of "16 will get you 20" I am stuck by this passage from the story:

Lafave's trial was set for Dec. 5 on four felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery and one count of lewd and lascivious exhibition. Each carries a maximum 15-year prison term.

We put people in jail for 15 years for just exposing themselves? 15 years? The penalty for battery is the same as for exhibition?

I know that we have to protect our children. And certainly they are right to prosecute this woman for having sex with a 14 year old. 14 year olds shouldn't be having sex. But this is a 75 year sentence. That seems bizarre. I guess I'll have to wait until I have a 14 year old to understand (wait, I mean until I am the parent of a 14 year old you crotch brains).

I wonder if the 14 year old gets to testify at sentencing?

No comments: