Monday, July 25, 2005

Squeaky Wheel

Just why is it that the squeaky wheel gets the oil? Or more specifically, why does our society reward crankiness?

It turns out that my whizbang phone has one problem: the people on the other end can't hear me speak. I can text, take pictures, surf the net, play games and music, and I can hear the people I call - I just can't speak.

So I call them:

"Hi, I love my new phone, but it turns out it is defective"

"Ok, we're sorry. Use this return code, ship us back the phone and we'll ship you out a replacement."

"Gee, that's going to leave me without a phone for like 10 days. That really won't do. Can we speed that up a little?"

"Well, we can overnight it, but we can't do it until we have the first phone back and you will have to pay for the overnight shipping."

"Right, but that's still going to be like 4-8 days, and I have to pay because you shipped me a defective phone. That's just a little bit ridiculous."

"Well sir, that's our policy, there's really nothing I can do about it."

"Oh. I see. ()*&}{:*_ ()*)(&*} {: ":" }{:> )(*(*& & :}{)(*& &*()&)*)( )(&*)*& {}":*&*^% (&^(* &}{: (&^&*^ (*^(* )(*&)( <>:}{}{ )(*:{)(+ _*()(&& ()*_)}{:")(&*%% )*& }{}:": *&*(^ }{()* &*& :":(*(*(^^% *(&&))()(*) & & ":}{::\][][;l_*--9(&)& )(*... Supervisor!"

"um, ok, I'll see if she's available."

"hello?"

"Hi. I need you to overnight me a replacement for the defective phone you shipped me."

"Ok. We can do that. You need to ship us the phone, email us the tracking number and we will overnight the new phone to you as soon as we can verify on the shipping site that the old phone is en route. We will have to authorize another purchase on your credit card, but you won't be charged."

"Thanks much. I'll get right on that."

"You're welcome, let us know if you need anything else."


Just why is it that I have to turn into the customer from hell before they will give me the service they clearly have a plan to offer anyway? They are obviously taking advantage of every person that just says "oh, ok I guess I will pay for the overnight shipping." That sucks.

Customer service reps often wonder why customers are so rude. I think its because the system is set up to reward it.

No comments: