Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Post-Its

or "Larger than Life"

Once upon a time I was part of a group called the ESTA Certification Program Committee. Four times a year we would meet to discuss how to make this business we all work in that much better, safer. One day, the chairs of the group decided we might be better at what we did if we had some instruction on meetings, collaboration, and brainstorming.

While presenting an innovative method for brainstorming we were indoctrinated into the order of the Post-It. It was revealed to us that if everyone quickly wrote early impressions onto individual sheets, one idea per Post-It, the chair could then collate the ideas physically on a board and we could quickly begin to see agreement and the range of ideas, not just intellectually, but graphically with the Post-It notes taking on an added level of meaning as a group. The participants could gauge the range of agreement without even knowing what was written on the individual notes.

Huzzah! What a discovery!

The CPC went on to use the Post-Its often, and we spread the word of their power to the ESWG and the RSWG, and we all went forth from the meetings to take the method of the Post-Its back to our respective homes and offices.

It is often said that there is no one more devout than a convert, and I was definitely one of the converted. I used the Post-Its for much more than meetings. I brought them into my classrooms to organize discussions. I used them as the centerpiece of multiple presentations to the faculty in my department. If there was a task I had to do, I looked for a way to apply the method of the Post-It.

Most recently I used the Post-Its to gather a consensus in a quick meeting with 1st Year undergrads at their Drama Orientation. I think it stuck (no pun intended). Recently I was brought before an installation done by the first year's Basic Design class. I present it to you now:



To think, my own form, composed from the greatness of the Post-It process - over 15 feet tall! Replicated on the loading door of our very own scene shop where all may bask in it's glory!

I am not worthy.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

Just letting you know, I'm out here and I read semi-regularly.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
(but I hope you don't think we're strange children...)

Indri said...

That is so wonderful! You must be verklempt. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

wow....kinda awe-inspiring....freshmen never cease to amaze

-deano

BabelBabe said...

weird but cool. and it does indeed look like you. the wonder of the post-it.