Monday, September 19, 2005

What My Students Care About

PTMStudent: question...about one of your classes
PTMStudent: we have a little debate going on...
DBoevers: you're not in one of my classes
PTMStudent: are you around...ah...there you are :-)
PTMStudent: nope...but we still have a debate
PTMStudent: what grade would someone get if they sat in class and picked their nose...
DBoevers: are they good at it?
PTMStudent: I realize this is gross, but none-the-less...subject of debate
PTMStudent: judges say....expert
PTMStudent: so....
PTMStudent: debate says a 'B'
DBoevers: expert nose picker?
PTMStudent: yup
DBoevers: does the nose picking keep them from participating in class discussion?
PTMStudent: yes
PTMStudent: ah..sorry.
PTMStudent: no
DBoevers: who is in the digusting discourse
PTMStudent: they DO participate in discussions
DBoevers: well
PTMStudent: several people (names have not been released for the protection of participants)
DBoevers: nasal probing would not effect test scores
PTMStudent: true
DBoevers: or project scores
DBoevers: I'm not sure I can participate in a conversation with unknown parties
PTMStudent: then I guess we are at an impass
PTMStudent: :-(
DBoevers: do they show up for class?
PTMStudent: yes
DBoevers: well
DBoevers: if you read my syllabus
DBoevers: inter-nostril spelunking would likely only effect ones participation grade
DBoevers: and would likely be offset by decent attendance and discussion participation
DBoevers: so as long as it didn't become a huge distraction it would likely be immaterial
DBoevers: and if it was a distraction, I would likely be forced to deal with it outside the confines of the grading system
PTMStudent: hmmm....I see....
PTMStudent: so then someone could not..'sit in class picking their nose and get a B'
DBoevers: like pulling them aside and explaining that their being up to their elbow might be distracting to myself or their classmates
PTMStudent: haha
DBoevers: most classes, if I give someone a zero for participation I can force a letter grade change
DBoevers: but I almost never give less than a 70% for participation
PTMStudent: hmm
DBoevers: would have to be pretty special nose picking

1 comment:

Katy said...

Clearly, some people were procrastinating and decided to find out if a literal interpretation of urban legend would be true. Fantastic.