Tuesday, January 17, 2006

First I Would Like to Thank the Lord

I am a George Carlin fan. Many, many years ago I got my introduction through some albums and tapes my dad had, and I have been a follower ever since. Yesterday I really wish I had had a way to get in touch with the man.

Here's why:

Carlin has this routine where he comments that he's really tired of hearing winning athletes at press conferences thanking Jesus for their win. The bit goes "you never hear someone say 'Jesus made me drop the ball'"

Until now...

Yesterday's USATODAY Sports section, Vanderjagt on the Colts/Steelers game:

"It's extreme disbelief," Vanderjagt said. "From the Polamalu interception reversal to Jerome's fumble, everything seemed to be lined up in our favor. I guess the Lord forgot about the football team."
It's not in so many words, but I definitely think there's a hint of "The Lord made me miss the kick" in there.

I wonder what George Carlin would say about that?

No comments: