Saturday, January 21, 2006

Sleep

Just what is it I have against sleeping at night?

It isn't the sleeping. During the day I do the sleeping just fine. I can sleep in my bed or on the couch or on the futon. Sleeping is not the problem. After years of practice I believe I have the sleeping part down.

Its not the bed, or the company. Any of the other times and places I do just fine. Out like a light for hours at a time.

I don't think its the dark, or the quiet, or the lack of quiet. Its not the kitten or the other kitten, or the cat.

It isn't the heat running down on the timed thermostat or the dishwasher kicking on after the delay elapses.

It does appear to be a book or the TV or the computer. But it isn't as if when I set those things aside I drop into deep sleep. Actually I lay awake, thinking.

Could it be the thinking? It wouldn't be a good idea to stop thinking would it? Yes, yes I know there are no bad ideas, I mean it wouldn't be a good thing to implement the idea of not thinking, would it?

How does a person stop thinking?

Often I see people do thing without thought. Does that mean they aren't thinking? And if the thinking is the problem, then when one acts without thinking, why doesn't one just drop to the floor asleep?

Well, I know what thought will be keeping me up tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it best to let my thoughts slow down. I very consiously force myself not to analyze, and gradually just image one thing or process happening, something uncomplicated and boring. Minutes later I'm out.

Anonymous said...

Worrying keeps me awake more than anything at night. Bills, schedules, things I forgot to do, things I have to do tomorrow...I have resulted to drugging myself. Unisom is where it's at! But if you don't sleep enough after you take one, you get a Unisom hangover the next day.

-becca