Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday Scanning

I am now up to 1975. Will it ever end? The latest album had over 300 images in it. Here's my sister and I on our hogs:



I am developing an appreciation for long term photo strategy. See, when I am looking at these photos, I am often looking not at the subject but at the background or at the other people. It seems that I am always looking for something that is just out of frame.

I think now that photography has gone digital and that resolution and storage are fairly cheap - and that since digital editing is fairly easy (as far as cropping a photo) that it might make sense to frame everything just a little too wide for the composition and to always shoot at the highest resolution available. Then you can compose the picture in photoshop for the presentation you were shooting, but you'll also have the master. So if 30 years later you are wondering where something was shot, or who that person off to the right is you can go to the source image and crop one for that.

So much of the story and the history are the context of the photo, not the subject.

No comments: