Friday, March 16, 2007

USITT Thursday

Everyone can relax. Dick Block is here...

More and more people coming into town and stopping by the booth. Today while trying to sell the program to other people, Ms. Juhlin stopped by to say hello...

Here she is again demonstrating something expensive...

I had lunch again at Majerle's, but still didn't see any Phoenix Sun players (like that would happen). I like to sit on the patio there because all the USITT people go by as its between the conference hotel and the convention center. After lunch I found out that I had the wrong number for Ms. Robbins. I wonder who I was texting yesterday?

This afternoon I went to yet another organizational meeting. Yesterday I volunteered for two things. Today I volunteered for four and also volunteered two people that weren't there for something. So when John contacts Ian and Corrine - that'll be my fault. One organizational meeting tomorrow. I wonder what I will volunteer for then?

Lots of wondering today.

Out and around the floor we saw some other CMU people. Here's award winner Adam schmoozing up the guy from 829...

I believe this is Micheal exchanging war stories about putting together an academic theatre program, although I really didn't eavesdrop enough to get the full scoop.

I had dinner with Ellen, David, Joe & Caitlin. No pics. Too lazy. I had to run before desert to play cards...

We try to play Euchre with Ben and some of the Yalies every year. For the last two years we've played conspicuously well. Not really the case tonight. Although Kevin did get to call on a hand he felt needed to be documented for posterity:

Left, Right, Ace and two off aces. Usually when you see that your partner goes alone :-P

Today's cards, swag, etc...


One is a holdover from yesterday. John Lagerquist had laminated cards with the instructions for his "big six" knots. I scarfed one. For the record his "big six" are: half hitch, figure 8, square knot, clove, bowline, & sheet bend. That shares a lot with Kevin & my "big five": clove, bowline, sheet bend, taut-line, and Trucker's hitch. I guess there are as many "big howevermanys" as there are TDs.

The rest of the items: three cards, one from Ellen from her new gig (old gig with new name), one from a high school thespian organizer looking for college interest, and another from a guy interested in helping with my commercial theatre project. Then there's the USITT annual swag - a badge holder/organizer, a pin from "Behind the Scenes" and the raffle tickets I had to buy to get the pin.

Big day tomorrow, I have a lunch, a meeting, a dinner, and a reception. Could be just exhausting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought you might be interested to know that there is a Aussie product we use here called a Tite-Tie. It replaces the Trucker's Knot with no knot tying. Have a look at www.tite-tie.com its a great little device for tensioning ropes.

Anonymous said...

yeah but...now you need a little device.
-deano

David said...

while this is fine, it does seem a long way to go to not have to tie a slip knot or a butterfly. you still have to do the rest of the knot.

David said...

I take it back, the locking action does make this a little better. be nice if it had a safety catch. I wonder if it comes in black?