Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Another year older and deeper in debt

So my birthday came and went. I am now closer to 40 than to 30. That makes me sound so old. I can remember thinking when people who were in their 30's seemed ancient. Most of the people I work with, the ones that were here when I was a student, they seemed so young then. They must have been as old as I am now. The thing is, I still see them as they were when I was here. I wonder why that is. Part of me still sees myself as I was when I was a student here. I wonder if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or a thing.

This isn't a complaint, but it wasn't a banner year for gifts or celebrations. I did get a lot of good wishes from people around school. That was nice. My parents, as is a family tradition of sorts, went bananas with birthday cards, sending like six cards on six days. The Vegas trip sorta whacked things off balance. Still, I've never been much of a party guy on these occasions.

For like the last 8 years each year has been another year older and LESS deep in debt. This year, for the first time in a long time - with the help of the home purchase - it is the classic another year older and deeper in debt. It always sounded like that was a depressing thing, but being in the position it seems to me to be a positive thing. My dad always said that you look at debt different when you buy a house. That up until that time its a bad thing, but after you buy a house that somehow it switches around to being a good thing. At least for the moment I think I agree with him. Being another year older and deeper in debt doesn't feel all that bad.

No comments: