Thursday, October 07, 2004

VP Debate

I guess I should say something about the Vice Presidential Debate. I have to tell you, I've actually gotten to the point where I can listen to the President, but the Vice President, I just want to reach through the screen and smack him.

So, the VP Debate, I fell asleep.

I did watch The Daily Show coverage though and they had some lovely Dick Cheney moments. First, Cheney asserted that as President of the Senate for the last four years that for some reason he hadn't met John Edwards until the debate. Which Stewart followed with a photo of Cheney sitting next to Edwards on a panel several years ago. Do you think Cheney just forgot? Which would be worse, forgetting or lying outright? I think lying outright is worse because that means he thinks we are so stupid that we wouldn't remember - or even check. I also think that's what it was.

Speaking of checking, later in the debate the Vice President in an effort to deflect charges about Halliburton suggested that viewers log onto the the net and check out http://www.factcheck.com as they had the true story. The headline on that site is:

"President Bush is endangering our safety, hurting our vital interests, and undermining American values."

Since factcheck.com redirects one to a site run by George Soros I think its more likely that Mr. Cheney meant to have people look at http://www.factcheck.org although I'm uncertain that was a good idea anyway as the lead the following day on that site was:

"Cheney got our domain name wrong -- calling us "FactCheck.com" -- and wrongly implied that we had rebutted allegations Edwards was making about what Cheney had done as chief executive officer of Halliburton.
In fact, we did post an
article pointing out that Cheney hasn't profited personally while in office from Halliburton's Iraq contracts, as falsely implied by a Kerry TV ad. But Edwards was talking about Cheney's responsibility for earlier Halliburton troubles. And in fact, Edwards was mostly right."

Maybe the VP should just lay off the hip internet references. Although it may explain something. I mean someone that mistakes ".org" for ".com" could easily mistake "Iran" for "Iraq."

No comments: