Thursday, December 15, 2005

ALPHACRITS

The fall semester reviews started today. I had earlier made many many many people upset by suggesting this year that we go alphabetically through the students rather than do it by class. There's a school of thought that I should have thought it was a good idea as soon as I heard how many people didn't want to do it. Well, today we started, and the world did not come to an end.

We did have two, very nice, two hour crit sessions where we were not once forced to cut anyone off. We finished the day an hour ahead of schedule - and at least on the page - today was the longest day.

So, in many ways it is too early to tell, but for the moment the Alphacrits idea feels successful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELL, December 15, 2005: Reading from a prepared statement, Morningstar announced that the unseasonably cold weather is going to stay for a while and that the sleigh rides might as well be free.

cait said...

I do have to admitt, as a major nay-sayer about the alpha crtis idea, that I actually appreciated the varied crit group. Yes, there were things lost, mostly having to do with class tradition, support and sentimentality. For those reasons, I'd still like to hope that the final crit of my senior year will be with my class. However, I was surprised by how benificial the alpha crit was. Though there was no place marker or means of comparison to my own class, which has proved helpful in the past, the comparison to the underclassmen was really benificial. It was so amazing to watch students say things I've once said. It really helped to put my experience here into perspective. It also made me more conscious of the example that upperclassmen must set. It was also a relief for my work to stand on it's own, w/o the possible defense of my classmates or competition. The work spoke for itself and we either sank or swam. There was an unusual ammount of support in that room and I think that most of it was because we all did such different things that no one could feel threatened.