Monday, December 12, 2005

The Scanning Begins

For like the past, forever, I have been trying to get around to either myself or my Dad scanning all of their photo albums.

Last trip home I actually kidnapped the first two - there are maybe 20 - and brought them home with me to start the project myself.

Of course that meant getting my scanner going - the one with the dead power supply. No luck there. But today I finally stopped looking at scanners and bought a new one. I'm glad I did. This one is mucho faster than its predecessor, and it seems like there must be people all over the place doing exactly the same project I am. The software seems specifically set up for large volume scanning of photos. You can scan multiple pieces at one time, do color correction and scratch restoration while scanning. Its all fairly slick.

And that's not counting all the archiving options which I am too overwhelmed to wade into. I think I will stick to directories now.

Would you look at the wallpaper.

Anyway, I officially have another project for my spare time. And I am fairly sure that the scanner and my monitor might join the missus's laptop on the next trip to Chicago - better than trucking priceless albums across the country. Plus I think I will wind up chasing down a lot of emails to make pictures available to them.

No need to look for that guy's email though.

3 comments:

Peg said...

He's still not all that bad nowadays either... but jeez louise you really were a beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing.

Aziz said...

Nice baby!
I'm thinking about taking the same project.
Which scanner did you buy?
And how many pictures can you scan in 1 hour?
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Funny you chose one of my favorites to post!!!! BUT....consider that those photos have lasted 35+ years...and the question becomes, will the images you scan to whatever...be it disk, hard drive.et al...last for 35+ years? This has always been my dilemma. Glass plate negatives exist in the Smithsonian from the 1840's...will the scanned images be around in 2165?...do we care?