Monday, December 05, 2005

We Get Into the 90's


CMU took delivery today of our brand spankin new CNC Router. Its a big day for us. The video above is of the first cut we made. (This is also the first video I have posted - I apologize to my parents and anyone else viewing on dial up. I am fairly certain we will all hate this by mid day tomorrow. If you click on it it will stop.). This is real good for us, as most of the technology we have at the moment lives in the lighting and sound areas. We do have access to rent automation gear at a real good deal. But it is still nice to have something decidedly high tech right on the shop floor.

Here is a piece we finished today:


Start to finish, including doing the part path was about 20-25 minutes. Its a little hard to see, but there is a bunch of engraving work on the surface around the cross. This is going to be the back of a throne for the set of Nathan the Wise. The layout alone would have taken that long by hand. So its fast, and this is only the first day we have the thing.

Here's another video. I like to call this one:


The guy from the router company asked me to post it so they can have it for their website.

So, one more thing to learn over break. I wonder how many CNC projects I can work into the School of Music opera, and how many volunteers I can get to work on it if we execute the pieces that way.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

hilarious!

I am forwarding it to lauren.