Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Do Over

I was on campus this Sunday and it was deserted. Today, today I got the distinct impression that the first of the students who have been away for the summer are starting to return. This, plus many other things have led me to the conclusion that we all desperately need a do over.

I'll be speaking to the UN and to various world governments as soon as is possible to arrange for us to do August again.

My summer has been way too short. I haven't gotten anything done I was supposed to, including get any kind of a vacation. I am sure many people had their travel plans gacked up last week. More certain, am I, that people in Israel and in Lebanon wouldn't mind getting some time. So with evidence coming in strongly in both a personal and international scope, I believe my conclusion is well supported.

So here's the plan:

Take the next two weeks off!

Whatever you were supposed to do, you can do in 31 days time. When we get to the end of the day on August 31 we will simply restart the month of August. If you feel like you botched something in the first half of the month, at your own option, you can redo that thing. Or, if living with the botch is ok with you, then leave it as is and take the full 31 day break.

To make up for this, we will add one minute to each day for the next 123 years. It will probably screw around with the seasons a little and with the whole "daytime" thing, but at the end of the make up period everything will be right back on schedule. All things being equal, I don't think people will really notice that much.

So, everyone take a deep breath. Whatever you had on your damn list - let it wait. Sleep in, do whatever you like. August 2006 is a do over.

2 comments:

David said...

Actually, in 123 years the cycle won't be right, will it?

While not really monkeying with the seasons at all, it will shift sunrise a relative two hours earlier.

Well, they can deal with that in 2129. Not like I will still be here.

Anonymous said...

Seriously?

fine with me.
I'll go get another calendar and stick the extra month in, so I don't forget.

If anyone needs me, I will be redoing August on the beach.