Thursday, August 31, 2006

Those Aren't Stitches

For the better part of a week now I have been walking around thinking that the sharp pain in my mouth was stitches from my surgery poking my tongue. I have been waiting and waiting for the stitches to dissolve and the pain to end. Today I went back to the surgeon for a follow up and explained my ordeal. He said I was probably right and it would likely stop soon. Then he took a look to verify the work. My mouth is doing great, healing very nicely. But the paint is not from stitches.

Its from tiny little bony spurs.

Well, that's no fun at all. Seems that typically when a tooth is removed the remaining jaw bone collapses in. In a very few cases - like on both sides of my mouth - the bone collapses out forming little tiny pain monsters. Eventually the bone loses the blood supply and chips off. At least that's the plan. Otherwise I have to go for follow up work in another week.

I hope it happens soon. I am not sure if I will last a week with this, and with all those power tools down stairs in the shop I might have to get into a little dental work.

I wonder which Dremel bit you use on bone?

2 comments:

cait said...

I'm going to take a brief reprieve from clutching my mouth in horror and suggest something that might help you copy until the bones do that gross thing you mentioned. Did you ever have braces? I did. And I used to get cuts all the time on the insides of my cheeks near the molar brackets. Until I got the Super Special Wax. That's not it's name but you could find out. It's not normal wax for braces, it's much more malleable and it's clear. You just stick it to the side of your tooth/ jaw/ bone thing and go. And then you wouldn't be dealing with pain monsters any more.

David said...

The dentist said that wax wouldn't stick. I had the same thought. I never had braces, but I played trumpet and I had friends that did.