Sunday, March 20, 2005

Home Sweet Home

Canada was nice, but its better, I think, to be home. Nice drive, no traffic, no problems. Gas is very expensive, and the megasize tank on the new truck, at least compared to the old truck, really makes me notice. At least work was paying for this trip. Even with the gas it won't cost them as much as it would have to fly me there.

I have to say all through the convention I was missing home. Good to be back.

I wound up the conference going to the Yale Alumni reception. There weren't many people of my vintage there this year, and most of the people that I did know I had already hooked up with on the floor of the show. Still, the reception sevres its purpose. We'd supended doing CMU receptions. I think we ought to get back in the business of doing something - not what we were doing before, that was a waste of money. But we ought to be doing something.

Prior to the reception I went to the ETCP launch of the Rigging Certification. It seemed to go over very well. Several of the other SMEs were in the room. I thought it was very funny that all three of the sample theatrical rigging exam questions they used were ones I helped write. I guess thats three questions we can assume won't be on the test (which is ok, because at least one of them I had thought better of as soon as I left Kansas City). It looks like I am going to get to write a Td&T article about the ETCP program. One more thing for the CV.

Marisa and I were talking about the conference and came to the conclusion that they should have people taking notes at each of the sessions and make them available online. I think that would be pretty cool, and then people that couldn't get to the conference could still possibly learn something. There was one CMU Drama student at my session (as opposed to a half dozen of Ben's students). I think she may have taken some notes. If I can get them, maybe I will post them here.

I took a bunch of photos that didn't come out too too blurry. It's too many to post here, but I put them into a "You've got Picture's" album. The link is below:


Oh well, back to life in Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Did M go with you to Toronto? Percentage-wise, you and Ben might have been even with the ratio of number of students to number of students at the conference to number of students at your session. Although the GIANT third year class might throw all that off.
home is good.