Wednesday, March 23, 2005

What am I forgetting?

Tomorrow is tax day for me. This guy up the hill in Mount Washington is going to go through everything with me tomorrow. I spent Tuesday going through last year's bills and statements looking for deductions.

The person I had do my taxes in Vegas suggested to me that someone that does what I do, entertainment custom construction (well and now we can even add a level of education to that), could deduct pretty much anything entertainment related as "research." So, books, cable, magazines, movies - really it feels just a little bit slimy. I usually try to make myself feel better by taking only a percentage, but the more years I do that the more I think I just ought to take the full amount.

Still, in the end I think I take less overall than I probably would get if I kept better records. Although I am fairly certain an auditor wouldn't detect that difference with their proctoscope.

Anyone out there think more out of the box than I do? Got any good deductions I might have forgotten? Can anyone think of a good way to deduct pet care?

I'm fairly certain that if the US went to a flat tax, somehow I would be getting the shaft (along with anyone else that goes to work). But it would certainly be easier to figure out. The way it is right now I get to feel both slimy and like I got jobbed.

Oh well, one more day and it will be over for another year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, I remember reading last year that if you receive a note from your doctor suggesting that you lose some weight that you can deduct the costs associated with that as a medical expense...eg gym membership, athletic equipment, etc. -Kevin

Anonymous said...

have CMU do "Cats" with a live catcast as extras

dad

Katy said...

if you get trinity a social security number, then she could be a dependent and then you might be able to deduct pet care... but that is even more sketchy than deducting the cable bill.

how do you find a tax guy? I'm doing TurboTax this year, but I should probably meet with one of those people about what is deductible... it would give me an excuse to have cable.