Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Slide Glide

The Slippery Slope

Is the name of one of the shows in the America Play Rep, which is being presented at the Carnegie Mellon School of Drama. Today, it was also sort of the story of my life.

I swear, the car shopping made me feel like this morning was much more unreasonable than I guess it really was. But for the first time in memory I was fairly cross with my truck and just wanted something with four wheel drive, or even something that was maybe just heavier.

Are you connecting the dots? Earlier on this site I had posited about clearing snow from a gravel driveway. I may not have mentioned that the driveway in question has a fairly aggressive slope to it, maybe one story worth of height in something like 35 feet. Equity would never approve that rake. So far the winter had not been too bad to me. There had been the odd morning or two where I'd had to spin my wheels up the drive, always trying to be conscious of not absolutely rocketing into the street once the ground leveled off.

Today was the first time when with the wheels turning in reverse the truck actually moved forward.

Still, a little shoveling, a little cat litter, and then finally a little fiance sitting on the open tailgate and up I went. And then straight to Lowes for more salt and 150 pounds of gravel for the bed of my truck. Hopefully that will be a reasonable temporary solution. After that, well there are two items that were in italic on my "to do" list that may have just gone to bold:

1. New Truck
2. Pave driveway

Too bad neither of those things will likely happen nearly fast enough for the next storm. Still, helps to stay focused, and maybe I will pull the trigger on a car. Stranger things have happened.

No comments: