Wednesday, March 16, 2005

USITT Day #1

So I am taking advantage of my work pass to sneak onto the show floor and use one of the computers. The floor doesn't open until tomorrow, and once it does there is usually a line to use these machines - so blogging from here might be kind of inconsiderate.

Although I am sure that won't stop everyone. Might not even stop me.

Today's agenda was the ESTA Essential Skills Committee. We have yet another acronym to add to my CV: ESET, which is Essential Skills Entertainment Technician. The group has been moved from ESTA proper to being under the ESTA Foundation. That will allow the group to function as a 401c3 organization and will undoubtably result in a huge tax write off for ESTA. We spent some time going over old business and then went back to working on the outline. This group is ripe for volunteers, so if you're interested in some theatre industry service this may be the place for you. Currently the biggest hole is in Costumes. We spent quite a bit of time today haggling over the title "Presser" and when it came down to it, none of us really knew what we were talking about.

I had lunch with Greg Bell. He's one of my mentors and currently that oh so rare breed, a tenured academic technical director - at Otterbein College in Ohio.

Fritz told me to go to the Technical Production Leadership meeting. I should have known he had something up his sleeve. I am now either a vice-commisioner or a project leader for this group in the area of Commercial Theatre Outreach. It was my idea, so I guess I should shut my mouth and be happy to have the position. One more thing for the CV. I also took the occasion to vent on "Entertainment Engineering" - one of my latest rectal itches. The room seemed in agreement, but I'm uncertain there's anything any of us can do.

After that I went to the Knot Tying session Kevin subbed in for me on. I had to leave the room because it was a sell out. Figures I would give up being on such a well attended session. Got some nice pictures though.

They're turning out the lights, I guess that means I have to go.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

why does it always take so freaking loooooong to get to the comment page? Ergh.

Oh man, Greg Bell. I'm glad to hear he's doing well. He was a really good guy and a good teacher who I think was not appreciated at CMU. Hard to believe, eh? He was also the instigator of the infamous Turtle project - what a blast! If you see him again, and if he even remembers who I am, give him my regards.

Katy said...

so, I was away for a week, but its new to me, so I'm commenting. What is the Turtle project? did it have real turtles?