Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Last Question

So, I've finally worked my way down to the last of these questions. I don't even remember the post that got them going - and since these are Peg's and she's going on some kind of two week luddite adventure I guess my timing isn't perfect. But then I have a feeling the answer here isn't going to be too special anyway.

E. You can visit the world of your favorite newspaper comic. Which comic would you visit? What would that comic-you look like?

You know, I am comic challenged. These days I read the paper online, or I read my dear McNews - no comics in either case. This has really been the case for maybe 15 years now. The last time I had any kind of regular relationship was when I was an undergrad here at CMU. The school paper here, The Tartan, used to run comics, daily comics but a week at a time since the paper was a weekly - really since we were gone so often we sometimes got a month of comics in one issue. My recollection is that the highlights there were Calvin & Hobbes, Dilbert, and Doonesbury.

When I did follow comics? I liked Dilbert, The Far Side, and Bloom County. there are others I liked before that, things I would just see in my parents paper: Drabble, Cathy, B.C. maybe. I always wanted to like The Amazing Spiderman, because I like Spiderman, but it was a serial and I couldn't cope with that as a kid.

There are people of late that have compared me with Dogbert. I guess its my warm disposition. If you want to be in The Far Side and be somewhat intelligent I think you have to be a cow, and I'm not anxious to be a cow. So I guess were I to join the cast of a comic I would likely pick Bloom County.

What would comic me look like? Me I guess, Berkeley Breathedized me anyway. Most of the people in that strip look like people. I'd be me in ratty jeans and a short sleeve t-shirt over a long sleeve t-shirt, with hair that isn't quite right. Its a good look for me. I think I'd fit right in. Maybe me on the fence here instead of Milo...

1 comment:

Kate said...

Have you ever seen "Get Fuzzy"? The main guy is pretty much what you've described here, and he has a devious cat. Although not so much with a fascination for bedspreads, but same lines, in my book at least. His dog is nice, at least.