Monday, August 01, 2005

Sloppy Language

Does anyone remember the Brady Bunch episode where Greg got in trouble for interpreting everything by the exact words? You know, how he winds up having to do the dishes in the middle of the night so that he could get them done today like he said? (I swear, a mind is a terrible thing to waste). For some reason this got me thinking about that.

The other day I was in the grocery story, in their international aisle. They have signs with flags for all the nationalities they stock, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Mexican, and then on a sign with a blue six pointed star there is a sign that says "Kosher." First, kosher is not a nationality. Second if what they meant was Israeli - which would also be wrong - then that's not the flag for Israel, it has two blue stripes as well.

I'm not sure if there is another place in the grocery store where it makes more sense to have kosher food. I'm not up to speed enough on other traditions to know if there are other classifications that are similar. But in my head, kosher food makes just as much sense in an aisle with Low Carb and Low Fat food as it does in an aisle with Chinese and Indian food. All things being equal, without assuming some bizarre fusion cuisine, you could make kosher Chinese food. You would have difficulty making Indian Chinese food without changing it manifestly.

For some reason we have a lot of difficulty managing the words Jewish, Israeli, and Kosher. For the record, one is a religion, one is a nation, and the third is a tradition (for lack of a better explanation). While none of the terms is mutually exclusive, one never means either of the other two has to be true. Although one often implies another, the assumption that with one you get the other two (or even one) is a poor one.

I guess where we hear this the most, and where it gets under my skin the most is on the news. The news is chock full of stories about "Jewish Settlements."

First, we ought to step aside a moment and address the word "settlement" as well. This word evokes images of log cabins or tents and frontiersmen circling the wagons to fend off attacks. Really what these "Jewish settlements" are turns out to be Israeli subdivisions. You know, mile after mile of identical houses on 30' centers. Tile roofs, stucco walls, desert landscaping, these "settlements" look more like Vegas of 2006 than Deadwood of 1800. Perhaps the language ought to be more precise, as I think the word settlement implies a temporary nature that is simply false. When these people leave they will have to demolish their homes, not simply strike their tents.

But, as usual, I digress...

Even if you use the word development, suburb, or subdivision you've only begun to correct the problem. That stems from the use of the word "Jewish" in this context. When I hear the words "Jewish Settlement" I think kibbutz. At least there was a collective nature to that movement (I will for the time being not even dip into the word Zionist although it could be part of this rant as well), although I personally can't speak to how religious or secular they were. These current developments make no special service to Judaism. They aren't run by a Rabbi. I'm sure they have no more rules than any other overbearing homeowners association. To call them "Jewish Settlements" just muddies the water and helps to sustain the animosity a little bit longer.

We owe it to everyone, of all cultures, to try to learn the subtleties and make sure we are saying what we mean.

2 comments:

Gina said...

You are 100% correct, and it was lovely to see my own thoughts put into words like that. I remember when I actually *did* think Jewish settlements were like shanty towns.

I don't think this is the result of carelessness with the langauge, though; I think the person(s) who decided to use the phrase "Jewish settlents" knew what s/he was doing.

Katy said...

what do they call them in Israel then?