Saturday, August 13, 2005

Summer League Finals - Chapter 2

or "Sorry About Your Face!"

We had two games today - after we got parked, which was bizarre because there is some kind of regional paintball festival happening in the other half of the park. I've always wanted to drive around on the grass at Turner Valley. Today I got to.

Game 1, 9:30, Long Haired Hippy Freaks (us) vs. Backseat Handlers (them): We won this game 13-5. I didn't play much and pretty much didn't factor. This was the first game of the bracket and we are seeded #2, so they were #15 and not much of a challenge.

Game 2, 11:15, Long Haired Hippy Freaks (us) vs. Chironex Fleckeri (them):
These are the Jelly Fish and they have a couple of starts of Pittsburgh Ultimate. This team was seeded #7, and with their players looked to be a much more difficult game. Again I didn't play a whole lot (we had good team turnout and we were subbing a little less frequently being that we're in a tournament this weekend) and on the whole didn't factor. I did however get kicked in the head. I'd caught a swing pass going to my right and faked a big, low release backhand riser, give and go pass. So that has me lunging and stepping forward some. My defender was sliding from his right to left and went for the fake with a foot block - kneeing me in the eye in the process. It rung my bell pretty good, although I did finish the point. I was dizzy and saw stars for a bit, but I got some water, ice, and shade as was ok to return for game point. We won this game by the improbable score of 13-2.

Now I look a little bit like I have purple eyeshadow on my right eye, and its a little puffed up. Can't wait to see what it is like in the morning. Perhaps I will tell people that my wife beats me.

Tomorrow, we return to Turner Valley at 1pm for the Semi-Final match, and then perhaps the finals. Fans and the morbidly curious are of course invited. Directions to Turner Valley are here.

No comments: