Saturday, August 06, 2005

Question D

Getting close to done with these...

D. Choose someone who you feel is deserving of recognition in the form of a national monument. Who is that person? What would their monument look like? Where would it be?

Can you believe this? I can't come up with a name.

I guess all the people that right now are important to me are somewhat small scale. So there are many people I would like to see have a monument in Davidland. But I'm not sure that many of them rise to the level of national recognition.

Be nice to have a monument for my mom and dad. I'd like to have a monument to all of my teachers. Some favorite artists and authors. The problem is that aside from right her in this blog and maybe on the wall of my office I'm not really in a position to recommend special recognition.

Lets go with one of these thoughts though. Lets do a monument to the American teacher. Something showing teachers from grade school through college professor. A salute to how education has helped people pull themselves up and make something of themselves.

Where would it go? I am a person that really believes that national monuments like this belong in Washington DC.

What would it look like? I am seeing a multi-faceted structure with a depiction of a teacher in front of a class of different levels on each side. I think that although the overall scale of the piece could be monumental, I think that the classroom scale should be accessible, so that visitors can sit at a desk like they are in the classroom. Where they can go and remember the teachers that taught them and the differences they made in their lives.

Or maybe I would rather just do a national Melissa Etheridge monument.

No comments: